If summer and barbecues are best friends so are Greeks and souvlaki! So souvlaki is a skewer in principle but a lot more in reality! It can be a whole meal in a stick and can be made using a combination of ingredients including different meats, vegetables and cheese.
This recipe is for chicken souvlaki which when cooked on a barbecue is probably my favourite kind. Now I do like flavoursome food, so apart from its marinade, this chicken souvlaki is enhanced with vegetable chunks and juicy pieces of haloumi cheese. I made a politiki salad to serve it with which is a Greek, lighter version of coleslaw, minus the onion and mayo. You can serve in pitta beead, tortilla wraps, or on their own, accompanied by your favourite salad!
An easy and very tasty addition to your barbecue favourites, this chicken and haloumi souvlaki is worth a try!
for the marinade
- 1tsp paprika
- 1/2tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp oregano
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
for the chicken souvlaki
- 4 chicken breasts cut in cubes
- 1 green pepper, cut in squares, the same size as your chicken chunks
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, cut in wedges, then halved and layers separated
- 1 pack of 225g haloumi cheese, cut in 12 cubes
- 1 lemon cut in wedges (optional, to serve)
for the politiki salad
- 1/2 white cabbage shredded
- 2 large carrots grated
- 1 sweet red pepper deseeded grated
- 1 celery stick grated
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped
- Drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Mix all the marinade ingredients and rub the chicken chunks. Leave to marinade for as long as possible.
- When ready to barbecue, prepare your skewers by alternating your chicken and vegetable pieces. I use wooden skewers, but bamboo or metal ones would do just the same.
- I prepared my skewers in this order: pepper, chicken, onion, chicken, onion, haloumi, onion, chicken, cherry tomato, chicken and ended with pepper..
- Cook thoroughly and make sure you check the biggest chicken chunks to ensure they are not raw in the middle.
- To prepare the politiki salad, just mix all ingredients and season to taste.
- Serve with pitta bread , wraps or just salad while still warm. A squeeze of lemon juice over the skewers will bring all flavours to life!
Enjoy! Kali orexi!