This recipe came about through Elisabeth’s need for cake and my luck of ingredients..
Olive oil replaced other fats since there was nothing else in the house and the pears were desperately needing consumed as not the most seasonal or popular fruit in our house at the moment. As for the honey and cinnamon, they follow us on anything, from toast or porridge, to fruit salads and yoghurt!
I decided to share it because it produced a very flavoursome moist cake, sweet and very very moreish. I am glad I wrote down the ingredients while making it and here it is shared with you, I hope you enjoy it!
A quick and easy recipe that produces a fruity, warm spiced cake
For the sponge
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200ml olive oil
- 300g self raising flour
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 ripe pears, chopped
For the drizzle
- 3tbs honey
- 1tbs ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a square 20cm tin or a loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the oil, sugar and eggs until well combined.
- Add the flour, mixed spice and cinnamon and stir all ingredients using a wooden spoon or a silicone spatula.
- Once all ingredients are combined, add the pears and stir them in gently.
- Place the mixture in the prepared tin and bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the feel.
- Mix the cinnamon and honey into a paste.
- Remove cake from the oven and brush with your drizzle until it is all used up.
- Leave the cake to cool completely before cutting.
It tastes even better the next day, just ensure it is kept in an airtight container to preserve the moisture and freshness!