I often wondered whether Chinese five spice would work in cake, as well as all its individual spices do..With nectarines being in season and sold in abundance everywhere at the moment, I thought marrying the two sounded like a good match! And it was! Really sweet and fragrant nectarines with aromatic spices and cake! Perfection..
A quick and easy recipe that produces an aromatic, fruity cake
- 300g self raising flour
- 200g sunflower oil
- 3 eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 2tsp Chinese five spice
- 4 medium sized nectarines, stoned and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a square 20cm tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the oil, sugar and 1 1/2tsp of the spices until well combined.
- Add the eggs and flour and stir all ingredients using a wooden spoon or a silicone spatula.
- Once all ingredients are combined place all nectarine slices at the bottom of the tin, in whichever pattern you prefer.
- Spoon the cake mixture in the prepared tin taking care not to move the nectarines.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin.
- Once cooled, turm upside down so that the nectarines are on top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice.
Just like all cake, it tastes even better the next day, just ensure it is kept in an airtight container to preserve the moisture and freshness!